I greatly enjoyed presenting and sharing this conversation with the very fine educators of the Virginia Independent School Association. This post has only the slides and the videos associated with the slides (Most of which I didn’t have time to share– watch them now!).
For a narrative version of an earlier version of this talk, click here to read my 2011 post, 7 Steps for Leading in 21st c. learning.
My thanks and appreciation go to the fine VAIS staff and educators for welcoming me so warmly, especially Kim Failon and Simon Owen-Williams.
Here, and after the “more,” are the associated videos: I’ve also provided at bottom a more detailed outline of these 8 steps.
Alexandria Country Day School Assistant Head Nishan Mehta on their iPad pilot:
the Edleader21 video on the importance of 21st century learning leadership.
St. Gregory students discuss the CWRA
Example of PBL product, a student video from a 9th grader
Example of a Reverse Instruction video lecture by a Calculus teacher
Example of a student Design-build class project, a Trebuchet
- Developing Ourselves as Leading Learners
- Strengthening our own “growth mindset”
- Developing our own PLN, especially with Twitter
- Consume, Curate, Create
- Joining a formal network, such as Edleader 21.
- Articulating the Vision and Modeling Digital Citizenship
- Collaboratively determining our intended learning outcomes
- Examples from Virginia Beach and Kipp School
- The St. Gregory EGG: Essential goals for Gregorians
- Measuring what matters most, using technology.
- Criterion 13
- PISA Based Testing for Schools
- Strengthening our faculty professional learning cultures
- Providing more Time for teacher learning
- Using PLC’s/PLN’s
- Supporting teachers in developing PLN’s
- Promoting Aligned Teaching & Learning
- High Quality PBL-Tech
- Reverse Instruction/Flipping
- Design and Build Courses
- Open Computer/Open Internet Exams
- Digital Video Production
- Digital Citizenship
- Putting in place the necessary tools
- 1:1 Laptops (BYOD as an option)
- Web 2.0 tools
- Fab Labs and 3D printers
- Documenting & Sharing