Yesterday I had the great pleasure of sitting to hear a “pitch” from a group of four students proposing a new green energy patio area as a laptop recharging station. The students are all participants in our new Innovation course, called Design/Build Technology Innovation, taught by our excellent Physics instructor Dennis Conner.
This is the proposal the students submitted in advance of their “pitch.”
- Use the Maintenance Building as a “base” for a solar panel recharging system.
- (Set up display that monitors energy output from the panels.
- Construct a ramada/patio area that showcases these technologies.
- In future, we would like to add a wind turbine to the power system.
- We would like to use the storage closet next to the storage room(old photo lab) to house electronics that should be shielded from the elements.
- We would like to use the roof of the building to try various orientations of solar panels. (more…)